Well, it's been a long time since I've blogged. The last few months have been fairly steady at the hospital, so sometimes it's easy to get complacent and think that there's nothing to share! Well, here are some highlights since I last blogged in July.
Who's Going through the Trial?
Last month I quickly flipped through the chart of a 60-year-old lady with stomach cancer. She had a referral letter from an oncologist in Nairobi asking us to examine her for any residual cancer after completing chemotherapy. A quick endoscopic examination showed her stomach to be full of residual tumor. I didn't know what to tell her. Here was the rare patient who had gone all the way to Nairobi for aggressive care, and I was going to have to share that it had failed.
As usual, I asked "unaelewa kingereza?" (do you speak English?). Surprisingly, she did. She had a smile on her face as I began to share what I had found, and before I had talked long she interrupted me. "I do not want any more treatment for this cancer. God knows the plans he has for me, and I have no fear." She was completely confident that the Lord would walk down this path with her and be her strength.
This last week I saw her again to share with her the biopsy results. The results showed ongoing stomach cancer. With the same strength she reminded me of her unwavering faith. And then she added: "I lead a group of ladies in my church, and the Lord is using this to encourage and strengthen them. I do not fear this cancer."
She witnessed to me that day. The Lord provides all the strength that we need for the trials that we will face.
Cancer Chaplain
One of the challenges of working in the Tenwek Endoscopy suite is the tremendous volume of patients with cancer. Dealing with a high volume is difficult enough, but when the next patient is being brought in the room as you're trying to explain to the last one that "yes, you're 30, but you have end stage esophageal cancer"-that's tough! And it really doesn't allow for much opportunity to encourage, counsel, or witness.
That's where Elijah Bii, our head chaplain, has been a blessing. When I arrived in May, Dr. White and I talked about this great need, and over the last few months we've been able to move Pastor Bii so that his primary duty is now ministering to patients throughout the hospital with cancer (the majority of whom are diagnosed in the endoscopy suite). He is well qualified not only because is nearly completed with a degree in professional counseling, but he is also a gentle, patient, and kind man who has a soothing spirit about him. There have been many times lately where I will share the tragic news of cancer, and I find that Pastor Bii will often spend an hour counseling and encouraging the patient and his family.
MPH / Research
This week I started phase two of my time here at Tenwek. The first few months I've been heavily invested in the clinical work in the endoscopy suite. While permitting me to amass very large numbers of cases and quite a bit of experience I won't see in the States, it has not allowed me as much time for research.
Fortunately, we did some schedule rearranging, and I'm now able to spend several days a week entirely devoted to esophageal cancer research. In addition, Sonja Dawsey, a recent college graduate, arrived from the States and is going to spend eight months working with us here. Her arrival will provide a nice injection of energy, enthusiasm, and just an extra pair of hands to get things done!